BBC4 Documentary on Surrealism
Created improvised art using found objects, at flea market in Paris, in BBC4 Documentary about Surrealism.
“John-Paul Flintoff is the most practical dreamer I know…” – BBC4 presenter Philippa Perry (pictured)
“Be Drawn” for The Union
The Union Club, Soho, commissioned me to draw portraits of members in return for a donation to the Simon Community. I drew 38 portraits altogether, some of individuals, some of couples, even three people together. A dog, whose owner preferred not to be in the picture. And an Oscar-winning movie star.
- April 2020
“Be Drawn” at Hampstead Parish Church
Hampstead Parish Church invited me to sketch portraits of clergy and parishioners during Lent 2020. Individuals were invited to choose a place to be drawn. I sketched 35 portraits (singles, doubles, groups). Before they could be displayed, the Covid-19 pandemic required churches to be closed. The images were sent out in daily emails to sustain a sense of community.
- March/April 2020
“From High Flyer to Rock Bottom”
Pen and ink/watercolour drawings, made in psychiatric hospital and afterwards. Shown at:
- Slaughter and May, February 2019
- Macfarlanes, May 2019
- HarperCollins, May 2019
- Linklaters, Oct 2019
- Mishcon de Reya, Oct 2019
- Birketts, Nov 2019
“Drawing for better mental health”
Workshop using own images as invitation to participants to create.
- Slaughter and May, May 2019
“Handmade books: a masterclass and exhibition”
Demonstration using dozens of sketchbooks, of assorted structures, made and subsequently drawn in by me.
- Wigtown Literary Festival, Scotland
- Selfridges, London
- The Idler Academy, London
Interviewed and wrote about, among others, Tracey Emin, Billy Childish, Anthony Gormley, Outsider Art, Nazi looted art, Tate Britain’s hidden archive, child prodigies, and the passion of individual private collectors.
- The Financial Times
- The Sunday Times
- The Idler
- Harpers Bazaar
- The Unbreakable Student. Illustrations for a book by Nic Hooper.
- “On being Noble (Tribute to Octavia Hill)” Published in book format alongside work from (among others) Grayson Perry.
Hampstead School of Art, 2008-2012
- Painting in oils, acrylics
- Life drawing
- Print making
Special award for outstanding young artist in Kensington and Chelsea, aged 14.
- “In Coventry (seascape with figures)”, Leighton House
Starting in 2019, I have sold original drawings, sketches and paintings to many people. My works can be found in the collections of:
- Professor Henrietta Bowden-Jones OBE (psychiatrist)
- Ms Julia van Beuningen (musician)
- Mr Mike Abrahams (artist/designer/athlete)
- Dr Angela Mooney (psychologist)
- Ms Charlotte FW
- Ms Susan H-W
- Ms Julia Moore
- Ms Catherine Davies
- Ms V. Phillip (entrepreneur)
- Rev Dr A. Lepine (chaplain)
- Mr M. A. Brooke (economist)
- Ms F. B. (lawyer)
- Ms Fenella Rouse
- Ms Kath Chapman (photographer)
- Ms Lucy Dennett OBE
- Mr Robert Twigger (author)
- Mr Jaime Marshall (literary agent)
- Friends of the late Ms Farah Tazeen Ahmad (journalist and TV presenter)