I was happy to be interviewed on the Action Packed Travel podcast, hosted by Peter and Felice Hardy. (The episode is embedded below.)
I thought I’d write a little here about my prep.
As you might expect, the podcast is about travel, and they’re experts. So before being interviewed I had a long think about my own experiences of travel writing, and wrote some notes.
As you see, I numbered the various stories that sprang to mind, then sorted them by category:
trouble spots, city trips, travel for pleasure (holiday type stories), travel to Get A Story (ie, a strong narrative about something in particular), to promote elements of a place’s culture, and sporty/outdoorsy stuff.
I listed some publications I’d written for:
The Sunday Times, The Economist, The Financial Times, Wallpaper*, Harpers Bazaar, High Life, The Observer and Scotland on Sunday.
Then I wrote a list of the various places they’d taken me.
I found this exercise extremely satisfying.
I sent some of this prep to Felice, as well as a handful of photos, and we recorded the interview. It was great fun.
If you listen, you’ll find out which of the things listed above appealed to the Hardys. And if you enjoy the interview, I recommend that you subscribe to their podcast.
- How To Pull Off A Month-Long Creative Project
- "Everybody needs a jolly good listening to" | Interview with author Wendy Jones
- "I Thought I Didn't Need Supervision" | Interview with Jenny Rogers
- "When I'm On My Deathbed I'll Remember This"
- On The Pleasures Of Copying Out Great Writing By Hand
- A Guide To Being A Coachy Friendy Agenty Kind Of Person
- My First Wedding Speech: blow by blow, by Rebecca Twomey
- "It's A Sin To Bore For Jesus"
- Talking As Therapy, And Just Talking
- "Read It Aloud": an interview with voice artist Kris Dyer